Friday, January 25, 2019

I Can Explain, Really - Another 221

See, here's what happened.  I put the bid in on the Shopgoodwill 221 about four days prior.  The auction hit my $160+$40 shipping limit so I figured it was going to slip away.

I was cruising Ebay and saw this:


1948 221-1.  The description included "untested", which we all know is Ebay-ese for we tried to use it but it didn't work.  I mean who doesn't do a five minute check on something that would made a difference of $50-$75 in the final sales price.  Junk 221s that look like they got hit by a sand blaster will go for $225 +shipping. One that looks like this could easily break $250+.  Instead they put "untested" on it, meaning "we're pretty sure it's broken".

That's cool.  Cause we all know what it means.  They wanted under 200 + around 15 shipping 'Buy It Now'.  Close enough for me to take it.  And when you get right down to it.  How broken can an old black Singer be unless it's sitting there in pieces.

The machine got here today.  I pulled the bobbin carrier out and found a nice big rat nest of thread.  Next I give it a test spin I hear some brushing coming from the hook.  Then I take a closer look at the needle and see this:


Gotta love testers who don't have a clue. No way this machine was going to make acceptable stitches when threaded like a cheapmart special.  Five seconds later the machine was sewing like a, well a 221.

The 'brokeness' fixed.  I gave it a quick cleaning.


Yummy.


The bottom end wasn't as bad.  Just some dried grease splatter.  I scrubbed off a bit with a scotch brite, but I think I'll use some kerosene based cleaner on the rest.  The grease had dried out maybe a decade ago, I got rid of the old and squirt in some new.  The oil pan will need another coat of paint.  That's about it.

It's a 1948, so it has the pinstripe cover instead of the scroll work.  No biggie, the Shopgoodwill machine has the scroll.


The case needs the most work.  Other than smelling like 'old lady pants' it has a broken latch.  I'm pretty sure I saw duplicates somewhere.  I think Fastenal.


I found the 1980 sales receipt for a lady named Norma in Pennsylvania who bought it from an independent sewing shop. Norma passed away in 1991.  My guess is she was the last person to actually use it. 

And lastly the actual stitches.


The bobbin was loaded with pink.  I thought it would be 'cute' for the 221, but it just washed out in the flash, sorry.  Not quite in the same league as the New Family, IF/15 or 201 stitches.  Also not as good as the 27 or 301.  But definitely better than the 401/403 wiggle stitches.  Probably equal to the 328.


So there it is, my first... gulp... Featherweight that's not a gift for someone else.  It's so cute!  I think I'll take it to the February sewing club meeting at the library.

2 comments:

  1. Most glad to find your BLOG on Singer machines. As always, it is great to read about these machines. The more one reads, the more is learned.

    ReplyDelete