Saturday, April 8, 2017

I'm so Weak, I Admit It. 1927 15-30 in a No 24 Open Side Cabinet

First off, I got a job at Philmont Scout Ranch this summer, so it's not like I've got time for more machines.  That's why I haven't been blogging the last month.  Too busy getting my act together to get out to New Mexico at the end of the month.

But how do you say no to this -


I mean how often do the parlor type cabinets come up.  And this one was only $75.  Sure it was over in New York again.  But in the Prius that's like five bucks worth of gas.  So, sigh, yes, it's mine now.  There are now two treadles in the kitchen, plus the six in the dining and living rooms, along with the four electrics in cabinets, oh and the irons on the front porch, back porch and in the bed of the truck.  The wood for those are in the basement.  We really need to find a house.


It's a pretty hard used machine.  It belonged to a guy named Hyman (Hymie to his family) Workman, who purchased it new.  He worked in the garment district in NYC for 50 years.  This was his home machine that he made ladies coats on according to his granddaughter's husband.


While the Tiffany decals are pretty darn great, Hyman was pretty hard on the mechanicals.  I don't think I've ever seen where someone had managed to snap off bobbin winder before (above).  And he also managed somehow to pull off the brass badge.  Luckily I have a source for replacements.


The machine also has a goodly amount of surface rust and the wood was given another layer of stain at some point.  The rust is easy enough to banish, but the finish of the wood is going to take some work at some point.

While Hyman might have been a magician with garments, he wasn't too much into the whole maintenance thing.  It seems like his idea of maintenance was "has anyone seen my oil?"


There are some amazing lint collections on this thing.  A few of the screws I've tried are pretty well fused in place by solidified oil.  I see lots of BlasterPB in it's future.


Since we hauled it home in the Prius I took out the foot pedal and dress guard to avoid things flying about on bumps.  It will also make it easier to clean out the base tomorrow.  It has that homey-musty-really-needs-cleaning smell.


For any 1930s Mob fans out there.  Hyman was the cousin of a gentleman named Charles 'The Bug' Workman of Murder Incorporated.  Charles was noted for being the hitman who killed Dutch Schultz.  He spent nearly 30 years in prison for the crime and came out a reformed man.  He stressed to his grandkids the need to stay out of trouble and, like his cousin Hyman, went to work in New York's garment district.


So, cool, another machine with a story.  Those are my favorite finds.

11 comments:

  1. Hi Dave. I really enjoy reading your blog. I also have a Singer with Tiffany decals in the same cabinet. It's one of my favorites. Whenever I pick up a new machine I always ask and hope for a good story. I just feel more bonded when sewing with them. I've been unsuccessful in finding a key for mine. Did your's come with one by chance? Have fun collecting. I may not have the room but I always manage to squeeze one more machine somewhere.


    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Unfortunately not. I have some keys from other cabinets and will give them a try sometime, but right now I'm frantically trying to get a 19th century tailor outfit finished to wear at the job this summer.

      Delete
  2. Hi! I have a similar machine, serial number is AB695250 so I'm thinking they even came from the same factory! Does the hook driver on your machine have a spring on it? Mine doesn't, and the hook rattles around a LOT. I'm wondering if it's supposed to have a spring in there. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Laura, sorry for taking so long to reply, I was working at Philmont Boy Scout Ranch again this spring. There is not spring for the hook and shuttle. The bobbing shuttle does have a bit of play in it's motion and will give clicks when it reverses direction.

      Delete
  3. We have the same machine and table in beautiful working condition with a new, unused, belt. It belonged to my great grandmother who was a worker and then forelady in the garment district in NYC.
    We also have keys but don't know where they go. It has been cared for and lived inside for its entire life.

    We are trying to find what such a cabinet and machine might be worth.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have the same cabinet and machine in excellent condition with a brand new belt.
    My great grandmother - forelady of a factory - owned it.

    We are wondering where to connect to collectors who might be interested.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi,
    I have the same cabinet and machine, but unfortunately it has been locked for at least 18 years. I was wondering if you were able to find a key that worked for yours?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My Singer 24 cabinet does not have the machine in it. To open it - I had to turn the cabinet upside down, as there is a long board the gravity pulls down, I aim now to tack it into place so it is always able to be opened! I am now refinishing the wood.
      So, take the machine out, turn the cabinet upside down, and it unlocks!

      Delete
    2. Sorry taking so long to answer. I missed this comment when approving a whole batch. The locks on Singer cabinets aren't very 'secure'. They keys they use are pretty interchangeable with any generic desk key of the era. Just find one that looks like it fits and it probably will. Goodwill stores and junk stores are a good place to find old rings of desk keys for a buck or so. Or maybe you will be lucky and your 'key' is just a cube shape that can be opened with a small screwdriver. I think it all depends on the year, not the specific cabinet as to what kind of key it takes.

      Delete
  6. Is there any chance you could share a picture of the key for the case? We have this type but can't check if it works without the key and don't know what to look for.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm on a motorcycle trip for the next couple of weeks. Once I get back I'll do a addition to bottom of the post with a photo of the key.

      Delete