Saturday, December 26, 2015

It Followed Me Home, Honest. Can I Keep It!?

So I stumbled (while digging maniacally) across a little treasure today.



Yep, a Singer 201-2.  It's a fixer-upper.  Last owner said it sat in a garage for 30 years.  It looks it.  The electricals are pretty much eaten away.  That doesn't really matter for me though.  Once it's cleaned up it's going into the treadle.  It's a 1939 so it has the mounting screw holes for the belt drive wheel guard already tapped.  I ordered one off a 101 hoping it will match.





Taking it apart the grease I found the grease for the gears, where there was any, had dried.  I took off everything that I could get off easy and dumped it all in Evaporust for the night (even though I'm not thrilled with it, I have it so I'm using it).  I've also gone over the head a couple of times with some Turtle Wax Bug and Tar Remover.  It's going to need a few more passes.  The only issue with the Turtle Wax is that I have to wait until the machine dries completely to see where I need to go over again.  But the stuff works pretty well.  The decals are already silvered pretty well so I don't have to really worry about the Turtle Wax or my scrubbing eating them away.



So once again the 66 is being pressed to the back burner while I get the 201 cleaned up and ready to go.  Will post more when I get it looking pretty.

No comments:

Post a Comment