Friday, July 21, 2017

Mine-Mine-Mine! 1917 96-10

About two weeks after getting the 331K4 the motor demonstrated a rather urgent need for maintenance.  Rather than be without the 331 while the motor was down I did what any proper sewing machine addict would do, I went out and got another industrial machine.  Behold the 96-10.


This one was a Craigslist find at a flea market in Albuquerque.  It was listed for $150 but the vendor was having a 1/3 off sale.  So I got it for $100.

As I said in the 331K4 post, this machine had a newer table and motor to start.  Since Philmont needs reliability with their machine and I want old it worked out perfectly.  I put the newer table and motor on the 331K4 and took the oldie stuff for myself.  "Good Trade" as one of the senior managers said.


This guy has been through a lot.  If you look at the pedestal you can see where the model badge has been removed then put back on upside down at some point.  Or it was a Monday morning machine and someone was really hung over when they badged it.

It's going to get a lot of reworking once I get it back to Connecticut.


Besides the wonky model plate, the hook assembly appears to have been replaced.  I don't think Singer was sourcing parts from Japan in 1917.  You can't see the sticker in the above photo, but it's there.  At some point I'll find an original hook.

Since restoring sewing machines isn't in my job description here, I left my supplies at home.  All I've done so far is give it a good nylon brushing and a coat of oil.


Once I get it home there will lots of soaking in soda and dremeling.  In my new workship in garage's second story! Yay.

Like the 331K4, the 96-10 has the knee lift presser bar.  Unfortunately it doesn't have the slap paddle reverse.  Bummer.


I do foresee a 96-12 or 96-16 (for the reverse) in my future.  If I can stumble across one.  I think I would prefer the -16 since it has the higher lift.

The 96-10 has a higher factory spec speed than the 331K4.  3200spm vs 2200.  However in my drag race testing the 96-10 has only managed 1900spm with the Singer motor on it.  It probably has a lot to do with the need for a good servicing on the head and that I'm pretty sure the bearings on going out on the motor.  I don't think Singer intended it to scream like a banshee when it starts up.


Of course showing the motor gives me another chance to make snide comments about dorks who try to pass off itty-bitty domestic motors as industrial.  Puh! Shah!

But wait, there's more.  Besides having an official Singer motor.  This set up also has the incredibly super rare and extremely valuable Singer switch!  Great googly-moogly this thing must be worth what?  $2000?  More?


In reality, my current plan is to take the motor home with me and rebuild it over the winter.  If I'm successful (not a given) I'll donate it to Philmont next year.  Hopefully I will have also found an industrial flywheel and pitman to complete the treadle.

Back to the present.  Another highlight of the current configuration is the return of Cheesy Rope as the drive belt.  Awesome!  Rather than my standard purple we had to go with plain white this time.  The rope is what the scouts here use to hang their bear bags on the trail at night.


The white rope is a little slicker than my preferred purple.  So there may be a little slippage, causing the lower stitching speed during testing.  But for now it's all I have.


That's it for my additions so far.  Hopefully there will be at least one more by the end of the summer.

6 comments:

  1. The hoard grows I see lol. Me too. I just seen a treadle base like your rare singer type the IF is on, not for sale though. This should make a very good machine. the 96 series I have heard are good to get parts. There are a lot of them for sale right now in Montreal Canada.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah, the only problem is the lack of reverse. Really not a big deal but running the 331 got me a little spoiled. It's pretty dead of wintery here right now so until I get the upper loft of the garage insulated I'm working on the little machines in the main house.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi David,
    I wanted to know a little more about the Singer 96-10 and stumbled on your blog. Pretty cool that your are a sewing machine enthusiast! I inherited mine from my grandmother who inherited it from her brother who operated a laundry back in the 1960's in San Francisco. I am trying to sew homemade masks (as we all should) and I have not used my sewing machine in awhile. I love this old thing because that is how I learned to sew as a kid. Anyway, I just thought I would say hi. Thought it was cool to learn my machine was over 100 years old. Take care and stay safe! Sunny

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Congrats, Sunny. Good luck with your masks. If you have the original clutch motor on yours still be sure to take it slow. The machine can go over 2k stitches per minutes. It takes a few minutes to get used to slipping the clutch into the proper speed. And it will howl like a demon if the alignment is off. But it'll still work. If you are going to use this as your primary machine I would recommend getting a modern step motor. Much easier to control, don't suck power even when idling and they aren't that expensive these days.

      Good luck,
      Dave

      Delete
  4. Hi, I work at a school and am trying to get a sewing machine up and running for our shop, but I am having a hard time tracking down information about it. And a few parts. I am hoping you can help!
    It's a Singer 96 SV 19, I am trying to find out what size bobbin and case it uses, since the ones I have tried do not fit. I am also trying to track down a presser foot tension screw and sliding faceplate.

    If you might be able to help or point me in the right direction that would be great!
    Thank you
    Anna

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well right off the bat the SV in your model number means it's a Special Variety, or more specifically a factory custom. So I would need to see pictures of the hook and presser assembly to be sure those aren't what Singer changed. But assuming they aren't your presser tension screw for the 96 is going to be something like this:
      https://www.amazon.com/KUNPENG-Pressure-Regulating-Thumb-SINGER/dp/B077RNQFF9

      The bobbin case and bobbins will be this (note, the Singer 96 parts are pretty much industry standard):
      https://www.amazon.com/KUNPENG-55623AS-Bobbins-Brother-Machine/dp/B07D4G8VFN

      For the slide plate, I'm assuming you mean the bobbin cover slide and not the face plate that covers the needle/presser bars. If that's so, this is what you are looking for:
      https://www.ebay.com/itm/SLIDE-PLATE-12432-fits-for-SINGER-95-96-CLASS-SEWING-MACHINE-2-PCS-/152541131838

      Delete