Tuesday, March 12, 2019

Feeling The Power - Singer 103 In An Industrial Treadle

The 103 is finally back together. Temporarily at least.

Singer 103 Industrial Treadle Sewing Machine

The table and the irons still need a bit of work.  And there are parts that I damaged cleaning that will be getting replaced at time passes.

I'm not sure if the damage is either from my metal cleaning methods suddenly becoming evil on me, or the materials available to the Singer plant at Wittenberge, Germany being substandard to materials available to the US and UK factories.

The greatest damage was to the Screw Centers for the lower rock shafts.  Three of the four are unusable at this point


Luckily those screw centers aren't unique to the 103.  The 96, 188 and 241 use the same ones.  I've asked Helen Howes to look through her wares. Hopefully good news will arrive this week.

I also damaged the needle and presser bars.  Both of those are common between multiple machines and I already have replacements on the way.


More of a concern are the rocker shafts.  They aren't as badly damaged but etched enough that I would like to replace them.  However they may be unique to the 103, which is problematic.  But a ray of hope exists in the fact that 103 clones are still being produced in India as the "TA-1". 


I've sent an email to JN International, one of the companies that sell the TA-1 machines, to see if they take orders for replacement parts.  Hope and Pray.

Even in its less than 100% shape the 103 is pretty much a blast to operate.  I just had to do another video featuring it.  As with all my videos, full screen is best.


As I mention in the video, I have yet to start seriously working on the table and irons.  That leads to an omission I made while recording it.  I didn't talk at all about the presser knee lift, which is one of those 'cool industrial' things.


While the machine portion is back together and functional, the table mounted part is sitting with all of its screws loose, waiting for me to pull it and the drip pan off to clean up when I refinish the wood.


Like pretty much all the cabinet projects, it's on hold until the weather warms up enough I can open the garage doors and work with some ventilation.  For now I just have to entertain myself with having a somewhat ugly reversible industrial treadle machine.  I can deal with that for a bit.

7 comments:

  1. Hey a non-spring reverse is better than nothing, right? And thinking about your comment on the manufacturing being somewhat sub-par, I don't know the history of German industry but guessing they just weren't 'there' yet, and couldn't source from the American suppliers so got material from more local yokels. At any rate it still looks to be a really solid machine. Gives me new inspiration for finally getting a table for my 96-10. I just have to clear out some real estate in my back room!

    ReplyDelete
  2. David Did you get a response back from JN international? I have the same machine and would like to buy some parts for mine. Thank you Michael Perth Western Australia.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Never heard back. Since it's just the screws on mine I can find replacements... not easily, but they are not super rare, just have to keep looking for them. If you are still looking for yours, I would suggest hitting up JN multiple times. I've found some manufacturers will respond if you become a pain in the rear enough.

      Delete
  3. David-
    I just found your blog!! I absolutely love your posts. I thought I was the only one in the U.S. that had a 103K. Mine is from Australia. I had it shipped all the way to New Jersey because I couldn't find one here. Looks like they weren't popular here at all for factory work. They are so solid and so incredibly smooth running with the big handwheel and flywheel !!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've found most of my uncommon machines in the Hudson Valley. Seems to be where all the lonely machines ended up in the US.

      Delete
  4. David -- thanks so much for this post! I am embarking on restoring a family heirloom that I believe to be the same model from the same factory, and this is immensely helpful. The serial number on the machine that I am working on starts with C209 so I believe the machines were manufactured around the same time -- though mine is in much worse condition.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good luck, Tali. I would recommend for cleaning that you limit the use of harsh solvents and make sure to rinse off any part you clean with them thoroughly.

      Cheers

      Delete