Wednesday, March 13, 2019

Sewing For Charity At The Simsbury Public Library

I finally made it to one of the charity sewing meetings at the library here.  The last two I've tried to attend were snowed out.  Snow, another reason to want to leave Connecticut.


The Simsbury Public Library is a pretty darn amazing place.  They have their own sewing machines.  About ten Singer 4423s.  Probably the only current domestic Singer I wouldn't be ashamed to be seen using.  They also have an embroidery machine and I overhead some discussion of getting a long arm quilter.  They also have 'maker space' available to the community.

Simsbury isn't a huge town and the tax load is not as bad as the likes of West Hartford.  So I'm thinking someone or some group has given the library some pretty healthy donations at some point.  I mean, look at that building.  Pretty sweet.  Lots of programs appear to be taking place every time I'm there.

Pamela, the lady coordinating the group had previously said people can bring their own machines if they like.  I had originally planned to take the 301 to work on, but with two 221s I decided I needed to justify their existence until I get them sold off.  So I boxed up the 1948 and took it along.


I still haven't replaced the missing latch so I stitched a snap clip onto some camping webbing to make a strap to hold the case closed.

I was the second to arrive, after Pamela.  I helped her finish setting a few things up.  When we finished other sewers started to arrive.  I was thinking it might be a group of four or five.  But over the five hours I was there around a dozen people came through.  We had 8 machines (including the two 'personals') set up.  There was a body at each machine the whole time.  Community involvement is awesome, right?

As for me.  I think I held my own on the 221.  It didn't puke its cute little guts out on me.  And only twice did I hit fabric layers thick enough that I had to hand crank it though.  It got more that enough 'it's so cute' comments.  Along with compliments on how nice it sounds.  And compared to all the modern machines it did sound quite good.

1948 Singer 221

Actual work time after setting up and before cleaning up was right at four hours.  Of course there were plenty of breaks for chit chatting as people came over to see the machine.  Two other of the attendees have 221s as well, both have been using them sparingly if at all because of concerns about their age.  I offered to give them both checkups whenever they would like to make sure they are sewing as well as a 221 can sew.

By the end of the session I had completed two bags to be given to chemotherapy patients to keep belongings in when they go in for their treatments.


My table mate was starting her third as I finished my second.  It was 3pm by that point and I didn't want to keep Pamela late by starting another, so I wrapped up and helped clean up.  I think I did pretty good.

Next month we're traveling for a family vacation the week of charity sewing, but I'm looking forward to the May meeting.  I will take the 301 that time.

2 comments:

  1. Featherweights are great for taking places. I wish I had a 2nd one, so that I could keep mine set up in the sewing room, and have a spare packed up for taking places. Hauling my other vintage Singers is HEAVY lifting (up and down stairs). It's fun to go sew with a group.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If I don't sell my second 221 then one of them will get converted to a treadle for the sewing room. I made my plans for a portable 221 treadle based on a design from the early 20th. I just need to get the aluminum bought and cut. The only electrics I'm going to have up there are the 403 and a 15-91. Everything else will be people powered.

      Delete