Thursday, June 27, 2024

She Served Us Well - 403A

403A

So here's a first.  The first machine I have passed on to a new owner.  

A friend of my wife had brought us a Cuss&Throw (Touch and Sew) she had bought as a gift for her son and it was having issues.  Yes, of course, the plastic gears had shattered, surprise!  After realizing the thing was ready for the junk heap even more than it was when it was built I offered her one of my machines that: A) were well made, and B) I knew worked and were clean.  She took me up on the offer and then it was off to the sewing room to pick one for her.  Going through I realized that most of my 'good' machines were now all treadle-ized.  The one's that weren't were either prized possessions (Centennials and the like) or were in various states of not quite restored.  Well other than the beige machines that is.  

So it came down to...  The 500?  Nope. I'm caught up in Rocketeer mania, plus I still have designs to treadle-ize it.

The 401? Nope. It's a finicky machine that needs to be re-tensioned more than the rest.

The 404? Nope. The last good straight stitch machine.

The 403?  Hmmm.  It was the first machine I bought since getting back into sewing after retiring.  It was the first machine I ever had to 'repair'.  It was my daily driver until Black Swan.  But I know it's going to last forever and I know that it won't need maintenance for years.   So in the end, it was the only viable choice.

So thank you 403A.  You served here well and I hope your knew owner uses you productively and in 30 years or so, passes you on to the next person.

No comments:

Post a Comment