Friday, December 30, 2022

Made It! At Least I Didn't Go A Whole Calendar Year Without Posting

I received a comment from Michael asking if I had abandoned the blog, so figured I better let everyone know I'm still around.

Yeah-yeah, bad blogger, no 2022 updates.  But I haven't abandoned sewing machines.  See-


No real excuses.  Spent some time at Philmont in the spring.  Spent quite a few months in Oklahoma with my dad while he got used to going single-leg.  But for the most part it's just been random life-stuff side-tracking me.  Like, playing a lot of Dungeons and Dragons.  I'm even a Twitch streamer now with the group I'm DM'ing.

But fear not fellow sewing machine addicts!  I haven't abandoned the glorious world of Singer.  As you can see from the above photo there are plenty of posts yet to be written.  Specifically the two Necchi BUs that have been hanging out for a couple of years, ignored.  Then there are the two new-to-me 15's, a 15-91 and what seems to have been a 15-90 that was robbed of its motor.  Of course both are going into treadles at some point.  Another sister-find 201, again going to be improved by putting it in a treadle.  There might be another 15 in the mix as well, I need to check my serial numbers to see if it's a new one that slipped in or just an old one I moved.  Then there is another Improved Family, I think from 1889.  I don't have the serial number handy, but I believe that's what I researched it as.  Oh and those two in the back.  On the left is a 306 (super awesome Christmas present from the best wife ever this year) and on the right a Singer 319W (which I might have mentioned a few times).  Also you might notice that even though I seriously avoid them with a passion, yes another 66 and crawled under the door.  This one is a 66-18, so at least it has reverse, but still... ewww.

As for the machines getting treadles, where are all these magical treadles coming from you might ask.  Well Norm of course.  Last year I picked up eight sets of irons from him, so plenty to go around for this batch.  And even for the treadling experiment of converting a 500A to a treadle, without changing the Rocketeer lines.  That's the next adventure.  There will be gears and hidden drive shafts involved.  Can't wait.  But first spring will have to break again.

Hope everyone had a better 2022 and is looking forward to a great 2023.

4 comments:

  1. Dave...glad you are still around. Your video for converting the 201 was very helpful. I did find a 201 of the right age so i could add the belt guard without drilling holes. Something i have neither the tools or skill to do. I am happily sewing on my 201 and hope to realize my dream of sewing my own shirts on a treadle. But i also have a couple of rocketeers awaiting conversion. It would be fun to have a machine that can do all those kinds of stitches in a treadle format. I haven't found a 411g that i can afford!
    I hope you have succeeded with the Rocketeer and will provide a roadmap for the Rocketeer conversion.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. It's been a hectic couple of years. Once I get the conversion done I'll post how to do it. It will be a little more involved than a 201.

      Delete
    2. I wrote about your 201 conversion and my hope for the rocketeer. I converted a 328 some years ago and just converted its younger brother, the 319w this weekend. But 201 is still my favorite for its smooth, quiet action and total precision. I have been using it to sew shirts. A humble task compared to Rolls Royce seat covers, but i find it very emotionally satisfying. Please keep working on Rocketer, Dave. Thanks. Michael H

      Delete
    3. I did a video about my 328 conversion. I was amazed with how nice it runs as a treadle. Once it warms up and I get my daughter's furniture moved out of the sewing room I'll be able to get back to work up there.

      Delete