Friday, June 18, 2021

Well There Goes The Neighborhood - 1967 Elna 62D

 Here's the deal.  Once I treadled the 221 I started looking around at other machines that "can't be treadled".  There are two machine in particular I've been looking to show that anything can be treadled.  The Singer 500A and the other was The Elna Supermatic (the green one).  I've had the repainted 500A sitting on the side for a bit.  I haven't done it yet because I'm planning on that machine being my zigzagger at Philmont over the summer.  So a Supermatic would be first. I wiffed on the green, but came up with this off goodwill instead.

I saw a green one local, in pretty rough shape that the owner has been asking $125 for since before the plague.  I offered $75 and received an offended response that it's worth way more than their asking price.  It's not, it's beat down and missing all the accessories.  I only offered $75 because I wanted instant gratification.  If I didn't have an experiment in mind I wouldn't have even made an offer on it.  Oh well, in another year when they drop the price I'll offer $20.

Anyway, I went with the 62D off Shopgoodwill.  It arrived a few days before I was set to leave for Philmont.  Another really well packed box as well.  I didn't photograph it, but they could have tossed this off the truck doing 80 and it wouldn't have gotten a scratch.

So the drawbacks listed on this machine were that it was a European plug, which from reading posts online is why it's a 62D and not a 62C which is the US plugged model.  Other than that it's supposed the same.  I don't know Elna's so I'll trust that not one ever lies on the internet.

Drawback two was that it was 'broken'.  The post said it would not turn.  The culprit was easy to spot after a bit of looking.  The bobbin winder was bent and jamming the balance wheel.

Both issues were easy fixes.  The 62x machines are dual voltage so I simply flipped to switch in to bottom of the machine to make it 110. 

And then swapped the euro plug for an US spec plug.  The bobbin winder was just removed.  I have my Side Winder for bobbins.

I was planning on replacing the bobbin winder and then after the conversion to have a super cool free arm treadle.  I even had the plans for another compound drive system like I used for the 221, but this time mounting it under the tabletop.  That is until I found out that the Supermatic just isn't that good of a machine.

You see I went out to Philmont Scout Ranch to help prepare the interpretative history staff again.  Well I was so excited about having the Supermatic that I took it with me to kind of show off.  MISTAKE!  Sure the thing works on modern lightweight fabrics well enough.  But sewing heavy canvas and wool clothes.  The Elna puked, and puked hard.  Those super fancy pyramid feed dogs pretty much suck feeding anything with serious weight to them.  It was so bad that I shoved the Elna aside and pulled out the 1935 221. The difference in feeding was stunning.  The little featherweight chomped through four layers of heavy canvas pants that the Elna refused to feed.  The Elna ended the spring stuffed under the 331K4's table.

It's home with me now, but I'm really not sure what I'll do with it.  I really was underwhelmed by the usefulness of the free arm and the feeding issues just left a bad taste in my mouth.  I'm sure I'll eventually find something it's good at, but for now it's going to go on the shelf, back with all the 66s.

Oh well.  Maybe the Necchi BUs I just picked up won't disappoint as much.



11 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. Thanks. I'll figure something out. Maybe I can find some standard feed dogs for it and try again next year.

      Delete
  2. I believe this "blue top" machine is an Elna SU, not an Elna Supermatic. The Supermatics were generally green, ivory and a two toned green and were manufactured much earlier. I am a happy original owner of an Elna SU free arm from 1969. I used it to sew clothing, curtains, upholster a sofa and everything between. It's my go to machine for when I need zigzag or reverse cycling stitching. I own a backup SU free arm machine and a SU flat bed too.
    Oh the other hand, it is possible your SU is a lemon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Phyllis, I know most folks would like to probably prefer the later machines weren't Supermatics, but the 62 has Supermatic on stenciled on it, you can see it in the bottom photo, top left of the harp. I would have preferred a green Supermatic, but we take what we can get. It is better than any of the post 600 Singers I have, that's for sure. And when it does feed it makes a better zigzag than any of the domestic Singers, not as good at the 107w5 though. The pyramid feed dogs just can't handle heavy 19th century fabrics like the saw-tooth feed dogs can.

      Delete
  3. I am converting a 201-2 to treadle. My goal is to learn to make shirts. I need a machine that has a good stitch and a reverse. I have a 115. Stitch is acceptable but no reverse. I have a 15-88. Reverse but stitch is not good. I have a 201-2 and it has a burnt out potted motor. I saw your video. Took off motor and put on 9 spoke wheel. It works great and I could wind bobbins another way but I want the whole package. Machine is from 1940 and doesn't have the holes for guard. How hard will it be to find someone to do work?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Michael, finding someone to drill/tap the holes shouldn't be too hard. Anyone with access to a basic machine shop (would check with auto repair places first) would suffice, but there is going to more than a small cost. It's not too difficult if you have access to the correct tools, namely a drill press. There are plenty of videos on youtube that can show you how to drill cast iron such as this - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JvjmoaAnwTo tapping the holes after you drill them isn't that difficult and the kits are not very expensive.

      Good luck,
      David

      Delete
  4. Dave...I have missed your posts and youtube videos. Have you left sewing machine world for good?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This comment has been removed by the author.

      Delete
    2. Hey Michael. No I haven't left not at all. Actually I have a backlog of machines I need to post about. A couple of Necchi BU's. Some more 201s and 15s my sister found for me. Then there's the 318 and the 306. Just haven't squeezed the time out for them. I'll get to it. Promise. Thanks for checking in.

      Delete