Wednesday, February 1, 2017

It is ALIVE! Cheating to Get the New Family Running

I ordered some kinda-sorta 12x1 needles off Ebay Monday night.  I thought I could be patient for them to get here.  I was wrong.


The biggest problem with 15x1 needles is that the shank is just too darn wide.  There's a length difference as well, but the shank is the killer.

Well, this morning after doing my morning chauffeur duties for the family I got to pondering.  What if I just pulled out the Dremel and got rid of that annoying width difference.  So I did.


It wasn't difficult.  A regular aluminum oxide grinding bit for the Dremel worked fine.  It took just a few minutes of running it up and down the sides, remembering the needle goes in with the eye facing front to back.  The trickiest part was ensuring the sides were balanced.

Next was getting the machine threaded up.  Now the user manual on the Singer site HERE is a handy resource, but at the time of that printing Singer hadn't quite gotten the step-by-step picture thing down, and the text is a little obtuse at points.  So what follows is how I did it.  I believe I got the shuttle threading right.  If someone disagrees let me know.

The first thing the user manual instructs you to do is the set the needle.  I skipped doing that until the end.  When we get there I think you will see why I like my way better.  I did put the needle in but didn't set its height.

The last owner had loaded up the bobbin in their attempt to get it running, so I skipped that.

Right off the bat is the most confusing bit.  The instructions read:  Hold the bobbin with your thumb and forefinger of your right hand ensuring the thread goes over the bobbing toward your hand."  Simple enough.  Done.  Next:  "At the same time take the shuttle in the fingers of the left hand with its point towards the hand,"  Umm, what?  Which direction is "towards the hand"

Going by what the first line says.  Thread over towards the hand, holding the shuttle in the other hand with the point "towards the hand," gives you this result:


The next instruction is to "place one end of the bobbin in the spring center of the end of the shuttle cavity next to the point,". That means we need to turn the bobbin to fit, but which direction?  Thread over or thread under the bobbin when it goes in?  Here's my thought:  If you go over the top then you end up with thread rubbing against itself going in different directions.  If you have big ups and downs when you spooled your bobbin there is the possibility of the thread tangling.  You negate that by going under the bobbin.  So I went under.


Whew, major drama in the bobbin threading so far, huh.  Next with the shuttle opening facing up, go out the bottom slit of the side with two slits and then back in the top slit.


Next over the bobbin and out through the first hole closest to the blunt end of the shuttle.  Then weave in and out of the holes, however many you need to set the tension you want making sure to exit through the hole closest to the point.  HOWEVER! If you end up going in the point end hole, you come out the slit below the holes.

I went back in at the next hole.and out through the pointy end hole.  It worked fine for me.  Finally you go under the spring next to the holes and slit.


Once you have the shuttle threaded just drop it into the carrier, spring up, point towards the hand wheel.  I didn't take a picture.

Next it threading the machine.  There's only five steps so it wasn't nearly as difficult as the first time I tried the thread up a 403 without instructions.

Very quickly:  1. Go from the spool through the thread guide.  2.  loop under and between the tension discs.  3. Up through the check lever.  4.  Down through the hole in the needle clamp.  5. Through the needle front to back.


Now for the fun part.  Setting the needle height.  In reality it was the quickest part of the whole preparation, only two steps.  First step is to level the engraved line on the needle bar with the top of the machine.


Here the manual tells you to put the point of a fine needle into the eye of the mounted needle and align them using the throat plate as your level.  Well since I have a thread already in the eye of the needle I just adjusted the needle until the thread was level with the throat plate.


Now with my 15x1 hack job needle I also needed to make sure than I aligned it properly with the hole so I wouldn't be chewing up the hole in the throat plate, or worse, driving the needle straight into metal.  Thankfully my eyeball dremeling was pretty good and I have a nice fit.

Once we are threaded and lined up, it's time to sew.


Imagine cool treadling noises here.  I'll break the GoPro out sometime and put some video here so people can really see and hear it.  A few seconds later, an awesome stitch.


Threads were left attached as evidence that that stitch did come out of this machine.  Wouldn't want people to think there was fraudulent sewing going on, would we.


The stitches are even, the muslin doesn't really wrap around the lock stitches so looks like pull-throughs, but they aren't.    The stitches are not quite as good as Wicked Queen and the other 15s, but I would say they are comparable to the 301.  Not bad at all for a 138 year old machine. 

12 comments:

  1. Wow, David, thank you! I have felt so intimidated by my 12A, and your instructions and photos are very helpful! I followed your link from the Treadle On list. Best regards, Dianne in England

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My pleasure Dianne. The trickiest thing about the 12s is the treadling, if yours in in a treadle. Not terribly difficult just a little different than the machines with the 13" flywheels. I'm happy to try and answer any questions you might have, but other NF/12 folks in Treadle On are much more knowledgeable. Cheers.

      Delete
  2. That is pretty stitching considering age and a redesigned needle. Bet you're happy to have this machine up and running.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sally, I am thrilled. I was a little stunned when the needle worked right off. I was expecting there to be much more in the way of shaping before it would work. Might just have been beginner's luck and I may never get another 15x1 to work if needed. But hopefully the alternative needles with get here soon. I've chatted with Alex Askaroff about some bobbins as well. I'll get them ordered in a few days.

      Delete
  3. This is very helpful to me! I just found an 1881 Model 12 in the treadle cabinet on January 25. I have it treadling with a 12x1 needle but I am awaiting bobbins. It has been refinished at some time in the past so the cabinet and irons are nice but the head no longer has any decals. You're right about it having a different feel when treadling, it takes some practice.
    Ingrid K.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is very helpful to me! I just found an 1881 Model 12 on January 25. The treadling is different and takes a little practice. I am waiting on bobbins before I can sew with it. It was refinished at some point so the cabinet and irons are nice but the head has no decals anymore (it looks like it was repainted right over the decals). I only had to oil it and it runs very smoothly!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Congratulations on your find Ingrid. Do you have bobbins in route, or are you looking for a supply. If you need to buy some, Alex at Sewalot.com has some. I'm going to order some more from him. A single bobbin makes for limited thread changing options on the fly.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I just got my bobbins from Alex today. They are very nice! I am having some tension problems so I am fed up for today and I will pick it up again when I get the chance.. I also need to find a bobbin tire since this one is hard as a rock.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Ingrid, sorry it took me so long to respond. How did the tensioning go? Hopefully you are up and running. For tires, I ordered some 29-4 tires from sew classic. I read somewhere that they are the same size. The look close anyway. My original tire is still soft and since it's one of the white "Singer" tires I don't way to chuck it just yet, so I haven't done a swap.

      Delete
  7. Thank you so much for sharing this. I have three 12s, all hand cranks, the oldest being from 1874. I'll be probably buying some needles already made, but it's good to know your experiment went well with yours. The 1874 arrived badly damaged as far as the base and slide cover go, but those are repaired, so I've been cleaning layer upon layer of dirt and caked oil before attempting to thread her. Your pictures and directions are very helpful!
    I found your link through TreadleOn. What a great group!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thank you so much for posting your ideas and pictures! I found this through TreadleOn, where we have so many knowledgeable and kind people. I have three 12s, the oldest being 1874, and which had a badly damaged base and slide cover. Those are repaired, so I've been removing layer upon layer of dirt and caked oil. How delighted I am to find there are decals left under all that dirt!
    Your instructions here are so helpful. I'm glad to know there may be an alternative to buying replacement needles.

    ReplyDelete