Monday, February 27, 2017

They're Everywhere - Another 66-1

I was happy, really.  I had just gotten the 1883 IF cleaned up.  I had someone give me another Singer treadle.  And though it wasn't the correct one for the IF, I figured I could make it work.  Then, dangit, then this shows up on Craigslist today for $50.


Yes as another 66 with scroll decals (I'm officially boycotting the words Red and Eye), from 1923.  The seller had posted only a photo of the closed treadle.  I was like, as long as it's not a 66-4 or later I'm in.  I sent a message asking if they could photograph the machine.  Sigh, I should have said to myself "as long as it's not a 66.  But I'm weak.  It's a 66-1 so yes I bought it.


The thing is, even though it's a 66, it's in amazing condition.  The graphics just have a couple of small nicks in them.  They are in the best condition I've ever seen live.  If only they were lotus decals I would be over the moon.  But hey, great condition is great condition.  I didn't do any 'before' pictures of the finish prior to cleaning it, because there's really not a lot to clean on it.


Even mechanically the machine is in really fine shape.  No major crude on the hook or in the needle bar area.  Although a previous owner did pull the oil wick felt out of the hook race, oops.  I've got plenty of red felt though, so no biggie on getting it back in.


There's some light film of old lubrication on parts that I'll clean off.  I'm going to use some of the alternative suggestions I've received other than just whole hog dremeling the ick away.  I'm going to use Sally's suggestion of Orange Goop in a baggie overnight.  And one I got from John on Victorian Sweatshop.  Soaking in hot water with washing soda.


There will still be some dremeling though.  I'll need into get the pedestal to clean the arm shaft and the arm rock shaft.  Maybe that's why I don't like 66s.  I hate leaving the arm rock shaft in, but the 66 makes it impossible to remove without yanking out the whole top end.  Grrr.

There was a bit of stubborn dirt on the treadle irons, but the Lysol and microfiber cloth system I've been using made short work, well a day's work, of it.


The leather belt is one of the thick ol' 8mm ones. This one still has some hair on it. I had been told that in the past a lot of treadle operators wouldn't consider a belt good quality unless it still had some hair on it. I thought it was weird when I heard it, but then this shows up.

Having the wider belt makes some interesting times when adjusting the treadle parts. There is a lot less clearance around the dress guard and on the belt guides. Once I got the irons back together after cleaning there was about another half an hour of tweaking to keep the belt from rubbing.


This is only the second treadle I've picked up that has the gold paint on the logo.  The first one being the 1879 NF.


Stitches are really good without any adjustments needed right off the bat.  Not as good as a 15, but just as good as the 201.  Though, since it's a 66 it won't see as much use.


A good bit of schwag was in the draws.  Several presser feet, which is good because I have zero back clamp accessories.  An amazing collection of buttons.  And some neat freebies.


The history on this one can be traced back to 1964.  There was an envelope addressed to Mr Adolf A. Matulis of New Britain, Ct.  Also there were some clothing labels for his son, Francis E. Matulis.  Francis was born around 1924.

Adolf was born in 1896 his wife Julia was born in 1901.  So it's probable they were the original owners, since they were most likely married in 1923 or earlier (Francis was their oldest child).

The house that was addressed in the envelope to Adolf was built in 1906, so it is possible that the machine was bought by them at that address in 1923 and it stayed with the house until after 1964.  Or I could just be fantasizing that.

I bought the machine from a couple who were given it by the previous owner's nephew after she passed away.  I know she lived in West Hartford.  Two of Adolf and Julia's daughters lived in West Hartford.  So I'm thinking that it was still in the Matulis family until recently.  I didn't ask the name of the owner who passed away because at the time I hadn't found the Matulis documentation, I'll have check with the couple I bought it from to make sure.

We're starting to look at houses now.  Just too many sewing machines and treadles to keep in the apartment.  Until we get more space I'm on a purchasing moratorium.  Really, I'm serious this time.  Unless...

No comments:

Post a Comment