Monday, December 21, 2015

End Of The De-rusting Phase

I finished with the Evaporust yesterday.  I admit my expectations are probably a bit high.  But since I spent more on the Evaporust than I did the actual machine I'm de-rusting I figured I'm allowed.  Just to be fair though, for folks out there who might not be expecting miracles, here's what the bobbin winder looks like before and after Evaporust only treatment.




The two left shots are after.  You can see there is still a fair bit of rust left after a day in the bath.  But the winder does look a few thousand times better than when it started.  So if you are just wanting to "look better" rather than "look perfect" then just soaking for a day in Evaporust might suit you.  For me the winder will be coming back apart right after Christmas (or maybe before if I get my shopping done) and gone over with the Dremel and loved on with some Mother's.

Does anyone know if these old style winders have a specific name?  To me they are just the coolest things about the old machines, that and the fact that the old machines work better than most new ones after two weeks.  Once I get my treadle 201 I'm definitely going to rig it with one of these.

I've also been working on spreader system to remove the badge pins from the inside of the machine.  I've had some limited success; the pins are loose.  But my system is still buggy, sliding around inside the machine when the tension gets to be too much.  Once I get a final version of it I'll post it.

No comments:

Post a Comment