Tuesday, December 29, 2015

Treadle 201

It's like Ed 209 from Robocop, but way cooler.




So here's the story:

The 201 was turning very stiffly after getting her back together.  It was so stiff that the motor could only drive it a couple of stitches a second.  I wasn't super surprised it started out stiff, but that fact that it didn't loosen up after repeated oilings had me a little concerned.  I posted my concerns to some forums and got a lot of good tips.  Mostly, keep oiling and turning.

This afternoon someone from the Yahoo Treadle-On group (Thanks, Tamar) suggested swapping the motor with the 15-91 motor to see if it was just a weakened motor as well.  By this time it was turning a tad more freely but nothing like the 15s.  I was preparing to do the motor swap when I got a feeling that The Wicked Queen would be very upset if I pulled her motor off.  Instead I decided to go ahead and try treadling.

It was very stiff in the treadle as well.  I could get it to turn but it wasn't easy.  I treadled with it for about three minutes and it bound up very tight for a few stitches then something let go and she began to fly.  Now she's spinning easier and faster than the 15-30 ever did.  She's so free in her motion I can get eight stitches just by giving the hand wheel a spin.  There is definitely a video coming.

She looks a little awkward without the wheel guard and bobbin winder, but they are in the mail and I'll have them on this week sometime.

2 comments:

  1. I've recently acquired a 201-2 (actually, it's enroute from the seller). I need to get a cabinet for it. I adore the look of the treadle cabinets, No. 5 and 6, specifically, but unlike your Black Swan, I'd like to keep the electric function of the 201-2. Can you confirm if the 201-2 fits in the Treadle Cabinets (Singer No. 1, 2-3, or 5-6), or if it requires some retro-fitting to make it work? ISMACS.net doesn't not list the 201-2 for compatibility with these treadle cabinets, but I'm hoping it's simply because the cabinets pre-date the 201-2 and because they are treadle cabinets. (In a perfect world, I could find a cabinet that fits my 201-2 which looks like a treadle cabinet, but which functions as an electric foot pedal--or even has a leg pedal). Artistic form and modern function! Any recommendation or insight you could offer would be most appreciated :-) Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey, Julie. Yes the 201 will fit in the earlier cabinets designed for 15/27/127/66. Fitting didn't become an issue until the 301 and later which require a shallower front lip to rest on.

      The 201 will also fit the later cabinets if you want to go that route as well, the shallower lip doesn't affect the pre-301 machines.

      The only gotcha would be if you picked up a cabinet for a really old machine VS or New/Improved Family that have a different footprint.

      Delete