Monday, December 21, 2015

Taking Out The 66 Needle Bar Cap

After spending the evening pining over some 201's for sale that I can't let myself buy until I show progress on the 66 rebuild I decided to take out some frustrations on it. Specifically the needle bar cap, which has stubbornly refused to budge even after repeated drenchings of Blaster PB.




I cobbled together a solution of a piece of #8-32 threaded rod + nut, a bit of a spacer and some chunk of a cotton ball to protect the cap surface.  Oh yeah, and a hammer.


I had read somewhere that the cap it supposed to push out from the inside, but after having tried previously with all manner of gentle urgings for it to move that way, tonight I decided to drive it down from the top.  A couple of gentle taps gave no result so I balled the cotton up nice and tight and gave it a decent whack.  Needle bar cap is now out and appears no the worse for the experience.


A little Dremeling and some Mother's as it'll be showroom shiny.

While I was at it I decided to yank out that thread guide you see in the above photos.  I wrapped it with a cotton ball then tugged it out with a pair of vice grips.



Dangit, now I'm going to go look at those 201s again.

No comments:

Post a Comment