Thursday, December 27, 2018

Merry Christmas! (2017) - 29K72

(Jan 14, 2019 edit - After more research... reading the freakin' manual.  I discovered this is actually a 29K72 instead of a 29K73 as I originally posted).

Well... at least this time it's only been five months between posts.  So that's a plus.

Quite a few updates coming now but I'll start with the one that I've been spending the most time on (other than getting the sewing room, insulated, framed and sheet rocked in the garage attic).  The 29K72 from 1941.  The model plate was ripped off so I needed to do a bit of research to figure out the exact sub-model of the 29 series.  I found service manual/parts list that gave the nomenclature of each model.  If you need to research 29K7Xs there is a badly scanned copy here.

Singer 29K72 Long Arm Leather Sewing Machine

I've been looking at this one on and off for a couple of years.  My friend Norm had it on his shelf.  I could never quite get myself to buy it with all the other goodies he had available.  The price was reasonable but I would always end up with a couple of 15s or 27s when I stopped in to visit so the 29 just sat there.  The wife took care of that last Christmas by buying it for me.  YAY.


One of the differences between the 29K7Xs and earlier machines is the above.  The needle bed is adjustable.  You can slide it left and right to align the needle as needed.  On this one it is also my biggest problem at the moment.  The needle strike was off center, so much so that moving the bed adjustment all the way right barely allows for a good position. I'm not sure what is going on.  You can see in the above photo that even with the bed all the way to the right the needle hole is still off center to the left.  I guess I could shim the head out a few mm, but that's just masking the symptom.  There is a problem in the alignment that I'm just not finding right now. If anyone has a 29K7X that they know how to align other than with the needle bed slide, any info would be greatly appreciated.

I need to double check everything but I do believe this is my first 1940s machine.


Next we have a gratuitous shot of the head with all the cool bits.  I've don't just the most cursory of cleanings on it.  It was locked up pretty well, so a lot of time was spent getting it unsiezed.  All told it was several days worth of work spread out over weeks, but it finally loosened up and everything spins, a little tight still but no real sticking points.  Once I do a full breakdown everything will get polished and oiled, which I think is all it needs a this point.


This is a bit of Home Depot engineering I had to do.  The screw that holds the presser foot height adjustment is a two piece wing screw, with the wings held in place by a tiny metal dowel.  The dowel on mine had come loose and won't  let the wings hold tension.  So until I get around to repairing it I've come up with this as a temporary solution just to be able to do some testing on it.


And, yep, gotta have a shot of the back.  Just to prove it's not a machine that was cut in half or something.


And the hand wheel.  To give the full 360 view.


And lastly, the girder drive.  So we can all see how this thing can be powered to sew through your finger bones in needed.


I am missing the table.  So if anyone knows where I can find one in the North Eastern US, or Mid Atlantic, or shoot, the Mid West I would really like to have this up on a stand when I really start working on it.

I haven't done a lot with this machine.  Just trying to get the alignment issues ironed out has eaten up massive amounts of time that I have had when not working on the sewing room or traveling this year.  There will be a full breakdown and cleaning post for it once I get to do it.  I have a couple of 201s that I got for Christmas this year (2018) that I need to get running first, they will both stay electric most likely.  So they will get attention first.

Oh and once I get the sewing room finished there will be a whole post on it.  It's pretty cold right now though, and I don't have very good heating up there, so it might wind up being the spring before it's finished. 

No comments:

Post a Comment