Sunday, December 30, 2018

Merry Christmas (2018-3) - 1937 15-87

(Jan 20, 2019 Edit:  User Needle+thread in another post asked the difference between 15-87s and 15-97.  The difference is the bobbin winders on the 97s are the newer style, like 15-91s have.  The 87s have the older cooler style with the cams and moving thread guide.  A couple of weeks ago I got them backwards and relabeled my 87s to 97s.  Her question made me doublecheck the facts and corret my error.  Back to 87s)

My wife slipped out and managed to get to Norm and snatch this one up before I even had a chance to notice it at his place.


Norm must have just gotten it in.  I chat with him a few times a year so if he would have had a 15-87 around I'm sure he would have mentioned it to me the last time I talked with him.


I've done nothing with this one yet, other than having it sit on my lap and stroking it like Blofeld's cat for most of Christmas day, it has just been waiting patiently for attention.


I had to redo the tags for the blog since this is my second 1937 15-87.  Usually I can get away with just a model number and year.  Since I'm eyeing a new 201s in the coming weeks I guess the chances for duplicating years for models is going up.


I was going to comment about how 'weird' it was to have two machines from the same year with the same decals.  But seriously, that's like a 97% chance of happening if you duplicate years.  It would be much more unusual to have two machines from the same year with different decal sets.  Plus I don't think the 15-87 ever came with anything but the seagull (RAF) graphics.


Like all of the machines I've gotten from Norm this one is fairly clean, but unpolished.  He says he doesn't clean them up, he leaves it to guys like me.  But unless I'm incredibly unlucky in my other purchases, all of which seem to be spawning fur and providing homes to multitudes of dead things, I think Norm might spend more time than he admits giving the machines a bit of sprucing up.


Of course there is some serious dremeling in this guy's future.  I've got quite a backlog at preset.  I still have the original 66 I parted out a few years ago waiting for me to get my to decide how to repaint it.  There there is a second 66 I parted out in an aborted attempt I made at making a screw by screw disassembly post.  Oops.  I need to get those two finished and back together.  I have a few others waiting to be made operational as well. Man, home ownership is really eating into my play time.



1 comment:

  1. My brother and sister-in-law acquired one of these with the first house they bought in the mountains (house is being sold at this point, sewing machine has stayed). It took my a while to ID because I was unfamiliar with anything other than the 91s and 90. Someone had tried to repair the wiring with I think liquid tape and it was a disaster. I didn't do a complete rewire but got as much of the black goo and old insulation off everything (it was all over the back of the machine), replaced some of the light wiring, and heat shrunk the remaining old cleaned-up wire. The clutch was also glued up but I got that unstuck with some hair dryer and oil, now it actually disengages the needle bar to wind the bobbin. What a smooth and fast stitcher it is after a couple spa days! Yours looks to be pretty clean, hopefully it will have its own 'second act'.

    ReplyDelete