Tuesday, April 14, 2020

Singer 15-90- nah, 15-88 From Shopgoodwill

This is number seven of Shopgoodwill.com purchases I've made.  So far the score for packing has been: 2 excellent, 2 average, 2 oh my god, how do you breathe!?  This one is the tie breaker. Let's see how Waco faired.


Lots of bubble wrap, good start.  Possibly looking at excellent... but... uh-oh, they put it in on the balance wheel.  This could be a problem.


Waco, we have a problem.

For me a broken power plug is no big deal.  I mean look at this picture from the ad.  It's not like they were offering a pristine piece of sewing history here.


I was expecting something beat up a bit.  But I'm sure there are customers who would be cursing a blue streak at them because the machine was "destroyed because of poor packing."  Not really for me.  Poor packing is when metal bits get snapped, not when plastic bits take a hit.  So I'm giving the packing an 'average' rating on my official-Marge-barely-acknowledged Singer Packing rating scale.

So here's the good stuff about the machine.


The nicks are pretty minor.  It came with a SingerLightTM which is a bonus.  And then-  holy smokes! Did you see that?  Right there!


YES! The uber-ultra-uniquely rare Centennial Badge!  The mark of the most sought after items in the entire world!  It's worth billions!  Okay, not so much, but hey, I got this thing for eight bucks plus shipping.  If the ad would have shown the badge (it didn't) I'm pretty sure I would have been priced out real quick by someone who thought Centennials were super duper rare.


The actual serial number allotment was March of 1949.


It looks like it's seen a bit of weather.  But a little bit of GM tuxedo black touch-up paint (sorry, no way Ford paint is touching my machines, even though it's a better match) and some French polishing won't smooth out.


And it's about a seized up as you would expect and eight dollar machine to be.  And like the 101, someone stored it with the presser foot up.  Don't do that, people.  I've tried doing the gentle Singer oil way, no luck.  After I get our taxes finished this week I'll break out the BlasterPB and go to town.


I was a little surprised by the lack of dead critters in the pedestal.  Usually the machines that are more neglected have some pretty nice colonies of desiccated spiders and stuff in them.


To sum up, Shopgoodwill is a still a decent place to find beat up machines that need some love to get back into shape.  Like the 'broken' 221 I got last year, this one is just going to take a couple of days of tinkering with and then it will leave behind the life of an 15-90 electric and bask in the joy of being what it was really born to be.  A treadle powered 15-88.

It's already begun.


Oops, I almost forgot.  There's an "Unboxing Video"!  Those are still a thing, right?


1 comment: