Monday, April 13, 2020

The Sewing Room Is Coming Along

I've shot some videos up in the sewing room, usually just showing the five or six square feet that wasn't silted under with crap.  This week the boy is on spring break from e-school so rather than just watch him play Mega Death Killer 39 for another fourteen solid hours, I dragged him up to the Sewing Room and we got some work done.


My original plan was to not post any pictures of the whole room until we got it finished.  But after we got the drywall up on the left slope today and could actually use both halves of the room finally, I started playing around with how I want to position the machines.  I posted an update about it on Victorian Sweatshop and thought I might as well post it on the blog as well.

We also have arranged the existing wiring, that was never connected for some reason, for two rows of track lighting and two new outlets for the sides of the room.  The wiring was waiting to be terminated and connected to an unused 20A breaker in the garage's power panel.  Weird someone went through all the effort to get all that wiring in place and then just let it sit.  The gaps you see on the on the sides where the drywall ends is where the hidden cubbies are going to be framed.

Anyway, on the what machines are currently in the sewing room.  From front to back on the left are:  Empty industrial table, 96-10, 101, 15-91 (not Wicked Queen), 404 and the 403.  On the tables behind them are a 15-30, 2 66s, 15-87, VS2 (I'll have to build a treadle for), 101, Improved Family (another treadle build) and another 15-87.  On the ground unseen below them is a Domestic Rotary.


Repeating the first picture, down the center of the room are:  27 in a treadle with irons repainted by the boy, 15-90 I just got from goodwill that's in pieces, being converted to a 15-88 and a 127.  On the back wall from left to right are: 99 clone from Japan in the box case, the first 66 I ever broke down to restore but haven't put it back together yet and a Sew Handy in the red plastic case.


If you got good eyes you can see between the gutted 66 and the shelf unit the Sew Handy is on, that I'm also playing with the placement of a little webcam.  I have a secret plan on what I'm going to do for some streaming content.  I'm not going to mention what it is because I think it's a super groovy idea and I don't want someone else to beat me to it.  Hint: It has something to do with sewing.

Down the right side (or AWESOME! side as I call it) are the treadles:  103 in an industrial treadle, 27 with Revco reverse, 328K treadle conversion, 201-2 treadle conversion (not Black Swan), 15-88 (formerly the 15-91 known as Anna), another 15-88, Improved Family and a 66.


Still in the house are: New Family, Black Swan, Wicked Queen, 201-2, 2 221s, 3 66s, 29K72, 128 Hand Crank, 27 in cleaning, 15-30 in cleaning, 301 (Marge's Ire) and 401.  The last 15-30 is hanging out with my daughter in Florida.

Still to do on the sewing room are framing out/insulating the hidden cubbies and hanging their sliding doors, insulating and drywalling the ends, finishing up the new electrical runs, hanging track lighting, putting in the outlets, putting down the floor and insulating the garage ceiling.  It sounds like a lot, but everything else happens on horizontal/vertical surfaces, much easier work than the roof slope we've been dealing with.  Hopefully everything will be finished before the boy heads off to college this fall.  Oh, also I need to resurface the work bench with MDF and raise it about 4 inches to be comfortable for cutting work.


Lots of pictures will be posted when it's finished.

2 comments:

  1. Great room. Bed risers are great for raising a table to cutting height. I wish I had a space to hold all my machines. I want an air conditioned pole barn ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for that tip! Bed risers. I had never even thought of it. I was planning to fabricating some wonky wood working project for them. I havent gotten around to the environmental controls yet. I have some space heaters that I've use, but they are expensive to run and I only have 20 amps to play with for power. I'm thinking a small wood stove at this point. Surprisingly it doesn't get that hot up there during the summer. The windows give good cross ventilation.

      Delete