Thursday, March 18, 2021

New Furniture For The Sewing Room, And Another Machine - Singer 15-91

 For a while now the only chair I had up in the sewing room was a folding lawn chair.  It was a little awkward to sew with.  I occasionally checked Facebook Marketplace and Craigslist for a replacement.  Finally this sorely misused guy showed up nearby for $35.

For $35 it couldn't be beat, right?  In reality it ended up costing $40 because I we did a no-contact deal and I took it off the sellers front porch and stuffed a couple of 20s under a flower pot.  We did chat a bit through the window.  The machine was given to her by her uncle who worked for Singer.  She never sewed and had passed it on to her daughter who used it for a few years but didn't take it when she left home.  

It was threatening to rain so I did a speedy disassembly and stuffed it in the Subaru (the Prius is going to the boy once he gets his license).  I did however notice this.

Yep.  Another Centennial 15.  That makes 3 now.  Checking the serial number it is an actual 1951 machine as well.

The machine was in really good shape.  Just a layer of gunk on the back from sitting folded up in the cabinet for a decade or two.  But still I couldn't leave well enough alone and stripped it down for a good cleaning.

I had it apart, cleaned and back together in a couple of hours.  

The biggest time sink was replacing the wiring. You can see the new wire and plug on the ground in the above photo.  I also decided not to run the wires through the cabinet opening.  I'm not sure if the 15 is going to stay permanent in this table, so if I do something like put the 500A with it's funky 4 prog plug in the table I would just end up taking the wiring apart again.

The only big issue with the whole set is that something had melted onto the cabinet behind the bed.  Not sure exactly what it could be.  Maybe gum?

I'll wait for some tip on how to get stuff off a finish without ruining it.  Other than that the whole set up was really clean.  Like I said my bit of cleaning was done in a couple of hours, including tear down and reassembly.

Even the standard tomb of spiders was missing from the pedestal.

Of the machines I've picked up over the years I think only Wicked Queen was in better shape when I took possession. Not bad for a sight unseen purchase that I made just to get the bench.

4 comments:

  1. It is a beautiful 15! You did a great job cleaning. I love a potted 15, I sew my bindings on with mine. You so intrigued me with the Singer 101, that I started looking for one. So far, no luck. I love the shape of it- so streamlined.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Around here in CT they seem to come in waves. I won't see any for a year, then 3 or 4 will show up at the same time. Note, they don't have reverse if that matters to you. I've seen people posting on forums and mailing lists that they do make excellent FMQ machines though.

      Delete
  2. What a score. I could have picked up a Singer 66 with Lotus decals and the chair included last week, but the machine was one of the dirtiest I've seen in quite a while, and all the metal was rusty. I just wasn't interested in doing that much cleaning after cleaning one almost as bad last week. I usually use an office chair to sew. I can adjust it easily. Enjoy your new chair. jncparker4@comcast (for some reason your replies go to another email that I never remember to check).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No worries on the replies. I don't think I've asked you any time-senstive questions.

      I would like to get a couple of more of the Singer stools. I don't think I'll get them with the bigger cabinets. The two #65s upstairs is about the most I want, maybe an art deco if I can get one as a rescue. I'll just keep looking for more #40s.

      I have also looked at rolling piano stools, but those things are pricey, and have not storage.

      Delete