Wednesday, March 17, 2021

Sewing Room (Slow) Progress Update

 I do continue to work on the sewing room.  Progress isn't quick.  Me and the boy did a bit of work last year, but kind of lost most of the year to the plague and building out some more gardens.  This winter has been looking at heating solutions.  I had finally settled on a wood stove, then found out that wood stoves aren't allowed in buildings in which gasoline powered vehicles/equipment are stored.  Bummer.  Since I'm limited to 40 total amps of electrical it makes it hard to stick with electric heaters permanently.  So still looking.  But the we did get the walls nearly complete.  So here's the current layout.

I still have the room split.  Left is electric, right is treadle.  In the middle between 'new' and 'old' is the 328K treadle conversion.  Still in the franken-treadle.

The right front now starts with the treadle industrials.  The 96-10 and the 103.  Parts to get the 103 are enroute from Norway thanks to Olaf from the Victorian Sweatshop forums.

Next up are the New Family from 1879 and the 1908 27 with the Revco reverse on it.

Then comes the 1884 Improved Family and the 1913 127.

After the 1896 27 that comes next we start with the 'modern' machines.  First one is Swan Queen, the Centennial 201-2 treadle conversion.

Then comes the trio of 15-88s (or those that have been converted into same).  First up is the 15 formerly known as "Donor", over the past few years I've managed to scrounge up the parts to get it fully functional.  Then the two Centennial 15-88s.  All closely watched over by Lady Death.

One of those machines will probably migrate to Florida this year when I go to visit my daughter and swap out her 15-30 for something with reverse.

Continuing counter clockwise we have the cleaning supply cabinet with a couple of 66s in bentwood cases.

Next the that is the orphaned head/apart for cleaning table with 4 66s, a 101, 4 15s and a 27.

Below them, feeling suitably ignored is the Domestic rescue machine.  Along with the sets of treadle irons waiting to be put together.

Up from them we have the 1883 Improved Family and the 1887 VS2 waiting for period correct treadles.

Now it's on to the electrics.  On the right is the 404 in the cabinet that originally housed the 403.  Then the 403 in the cabinet that originally house the 401.

After them comes the 1930 101 in the cabinet that originally housed the 1923 101.  I swapped them out because the 1930 machine was in better condition overall.

Then come the next 15s.  On the right is 15-91 named Anna in a massive cabinet that has some Singer components but I think was home made.  On the left is the nickel plated 1931 15-91.

Finally for the plugged in machines is the 1935 95-40.

The last machines, on the table the 29K72 originally came on are the portables.  From back to front is; Sewhandy, the 99 clone from Japan, the 128 hand crank and the 1949 221.

So that completes the tour.  Of course since I took these photos I've added a second VS2 with its treadle and another 15-91 in a number 40 library table that I bought just to have a proper sewing stool in the sewing room.  Oh and five more sets of treadle irons to put together.  All those posts will be coming soon-ish.  The 107W5 has also taken up residence. 

Counting the new arrivals I now have 40 machines up in the sewing room.  27 of which can be sat down and sewn with.  Once we get things painted and build in some shelves I should have space for another eight to ten cabinets.  Time to open a sweatshop?

6 comments:

  1. I just love that 1930 101. It is so elegant. I have never seen one. Thanks for the tour.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow! Nicely organized. What fun you must be having!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'll have even more fun when I get my rear in gear and finish it. I would say about 1/4 of the space can't be used right now because of all the home improvement tools and supplies taking up space. But someday!

      Delete
  3. I can only get to 2 machines at a time in my sewing room. The rest are all scattered around the house as decorations. Can you get an electrician to add power to the room? Hubby did that in the garage so he could use all his woodworking tools and also have light and a heater.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. More runs isn't the only problem. At present our main feed to the house is only 60 Amp. We'll get it updated someday and I can draw more from the garage.

      Delete