Tuesday, January 1, 2019

Happy New Year - Another 66

I had been holding off on doing this post because I had mis-remembered the production year of this machine.  This was going to be a woo-hoo it's officially an antique built in 1919 post.  But it turns out that my newly minted antique machine is actually the 128 I got from my sister.  This 66-1 is made in 1913.  Yay, it's still officially an antique, just a bit older than I thought.


Another 66 with scroll graphics.  This one came in the Number 21 Drawing Room Cabinet that I wanted for Black Swan.  Shown in this post.


Here's an annoying thing.  I was going to pop in some trivia here about the fanfare about the Singer 66 from 1900, because I can swear somewhere I have some 1900 pamphlets that announce the arrival of the 66.  But, as we all know, the 66 didn't go into production until 1902.  Grrr I thought I was about to win some cool trivia points about production delays.  Oh well when I find the stuff from 1900 I'm sure I'll have another 66 to post it with.


Ouch.  Sorry about that photo.  Guess I wasn't paying attention to what the auto-focus hit on there.  I wasn't going to use it, but then I decided to go ahead and post it so I can point out the drywall lift behind the 66.  These pictures were taken up in the sewing room.  We have about 75 percent of the insulation in and drywall up on one wall.  We still need to fill in some gaps (This is my first unsupervised drywall installation and I'm making a bit of a mess of it).


As you can tell from the massive lint and gunk buildup, this is another case of a machine I haven't touched since buying.  I bought it right before heading to Oklahoma in October.  The wife and I drove down to pick it up, brought it home and stored it.  Kind of like Tony Stark with the Jackson Pollock painting.


The 66s keep sliding to the back of the rack on my to-do list, but I will get them restored I promise.


And lest anyone thinks my disdain for scroll graphics has me relegating 66s to some dark abyss.  I will say that one of the cleaned up 66s in a treadle did find a happy, productive home with my daughter in Florida.  At the time I just didn't make note of which one it was, d'oh.  I've asked her to send me back the serial number so I can make note of which one has left.  Hmm, Florida... maybe it was a dark abyss I sent it too.

No comments:

Post a Comment