Thursday, April 1, 2021

Carving Stitches With Marge's Singer VS2 Death Machine

 I have to say this is an impressive machine.

I've done nothing to it other than a few drops of oil and wiping it with a cloth.  Nothing was taken off to clean nor any adjustments of any kind make.  Shoot I didn't even have to touch the tension.

The belt is still the one it came with.  I just  put another hole in it, the bit it lost when I first got it was short enough that it isn't even that taut when I put it back on.  Even the needle is that same needle it had.  Admittedly keeping the old needle was not the correct call, but I just wanted to see.

Basically, with the exception of using modern thread,  it's like it was when Marge stepped away to go take care of business.  And it sews like how you would expect her machine to sew.

I don't know whether to be amazed that a 130+ year old machine that hasn't sewn in decades can hold its tolerances that perfect.  Or terrified that Marge, who we all know is still out there in the shadows somewhere, has felt a tremble telling her that her 'ax' is being used by someone undeserving and it now cutting her way though the plastic beast-infested wilderness to reclaim what is hers.

(Edit 9 April - I went ahead and shot a short video to show how it sews.)

4 comments:

  1. What is Marge's machines serial number? My 1889 Singer 27 VS2 is #9105692. It was one of the first treadle's I got (I got 3 treadles in 3 weeks, when I first got interested in treadles). I haven't used mine, since the bobbins don't fit in the bobbin winder tight enough to turn the bobbin.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mine is a few months newer, 9174579. I have the same issue, so I wind the bobbins on a 127.

      Delete
  2. I have a Singer VS2 model number 8739933. Any idea how or where to get a manual for this machine?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Here are some links -

      1897 27/VS2 manual - https://www.sil.si.edu/DigitalCollections/Trade-Literature/Sewing-Machines/NMAHTEX/0673/

      1889 VS2 manual in German - https://www.sil.si.edu/DigitalCollections/Trade-Literature/Sewing-Machines/NMAHTEX/1762/

      1914 Instructions for Accessories Kit 14 - https://www.sil.si.edu/DigitalCollections/Trade-Literature/Sewing-Machines/NMAHTEX/2663/

      Undateed Instructions for Accessories Kit 11 - https://www.sil.si.edu/DigitalCollections/Trade-Literature/Sewing-Machines/NMAHTEX/0528/

      Delete