Tuesday, January 26, 2016

27-4 Cleaning. At Last.

Before getting side tracked with the Domestic, I had the issue of the 15-87's bobbin winder not liking the smaller belt ring on the spoken handwheel.  Since the motor will eventually be going back on the 15-87 along with the solid hand wheel it wasn't really a major problem.  I just needed to decide which machine would take its place in the treadle.

Since the treadle sits in the middle of the dining room (along with the 201's treadle and the table for the 403A) I figured it would probably be best to put it up to a family vote which machine was going to be mounted on it.  My candidates were the 66-1 and the 1908 27-4.  I went with the 1908 instead of the 1896 due to the '08's better decals at present.

It was a split vote.  Our son went for the 66-1.  I guess the red eye decals look more violent or something.  The wife went with the 27-3 because the colors match the carpet better.  Another valid reason for choosing a sewing machine.

It came down to me.  Since I already have The Wicked Queen, Black Swan and 403A in tables for use I went with the 27-4 to have a VS machine as well.




I was in the process of dismantling it for cleaning when we heard of the Domestic.  So a the moment I have two machines in pieces in the kitchen, being very careful not to mix their bits.

It's supposed to be in the 40s here today so I think I'll sit on the back porch and door some Dremeling.

2 comments:

  1. Dave, I admire your bravery with your complete teardowns! You have inspired me to try the same on a rather wretched 27 I have that I planned to convert from a non-Singer replacement motor to treadle/hand crank-ready. (Photos, photos, photos!) So far I have been able to get free moving, good performance by extensive cleaning with in place or minor disassembly of components. Does tear down free things up significantly versus extensive in place cleaning? Do you have any other tips for a tear down other than extensive photography (i.e., acquiring a service manual, marking gear matching points?)? I really appreciate your detailing cleaning materials in your posts.

    Jihn Thomas in NC

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey, John. The 27's are pretty easy (much more so than a 66). What I do, even after tearing down quite a few, is take pictures of every step just so I don't miss anything. Singer was pretty good about each screw fitting only on place, so it's pretty hard to put them back wrong. Even so, document. Unfortunately I only have service manuals for the 66's and some industrial machines.

      And I do find taking a machine completely apart and giving all the parts a really good cleaning does give better performance. But keep in mind, I look for machines that have been sitting in barns and basements for decades. If you have a machine that has been kept indoors and had even the most minimal maintenance done on it, taking it apart is not necessary at all.

      If you do want to do an overhaul, take your time, I rushed though a 66 at one point and when I got it back together it was really tight, I had to go back step by step to figure out what I did wrong. I never figured out exactly what I did, but when I put it back together slowly it worked perfectly. Just go slow.

      Delete