Friday, January 22, 2016

What a Difference a Day Makes

So I had a treadle sized hole in my heart and 6 square feet of un-Singered space.  What to do?  Buy another treadle, of course!



Hi. I'm Dave and I have a sewing machine problem.


I had to drive up to Boston to pick it up, but for $40 I was willing the burn some cheap gas... in the Prius, so not that much gas.  About 4 gallons, so the total price was around $47.20.


It's a 66-1 (sigh... yes, another 66) from 1916. The wood of the table had been stripped years ago by the last owner's mother.  It survived it pretty well but there is just the tiniest buckling on the top veneer.  Lots of dust.


The machine itself looks like it's been sitting next to someone burning soft coal.  It has a pretty good slime covering.  All the bolts are stuck.  I had to use vice-grips on the thumb screws.  The back oil cover pulled off a lot of paint when I peeled it off as well.


It has some issues as you can tell, but the decals are sharp.  Everything else, not so much.


I had to use an awl to clean out the grunge from the top face plate screw, then nearly bent the screwdriver before it began to turn.  Inside was the largest dust bunny I've even seen in the needle bar space of a machine.


The tension check spring is missing along with the presser foot, bobbin cover plate, needle clamp and screw.  Rather than look for a replacement back clamping foot I think I'll just convert it to a side clamp.  At least the bobbin winder is complete, if extremely gummed up.


Overall not a bad way to spend the day before the "Blizzard of '16".  And if the power goes out me and the wife both have something to keep us occupied.  The boy will have to just go play in the snow.



No comments:

Post a Comment