Tuesday, January 12, 2016

Holy Crap, Dude!

So yeah, I'm imagining my friend Sheldon saying that as he looks at this picture.




Included:  1908 Model 27-4, 1913 Model 127-3, 1925 Model 66-4, 1931 Model 66-6, 1937 Model 15-87.

There's probably an intervention coming in the not to distant future.

I picked these up as a bundle today.  I posted a wanted ad on Craigslist looking for machines people were getting ready to toss, offering $5-$20 depending on condition.  Of course I got the standard super offended rage response, whining that I should be offering more.  But I also made a couple of good contacts.  One person with a decent shape 66-16 that didn't know what he had.  We chatted back and forth and now he's decided to fix it up.  Way cool.  I also got a message from a super guy with a whole mass of old Singers.  I'm talking a warehouse volume.  He's more of a quick turn around guy and he had these,  a couple of which need some work.  His price was right in my sweet spot and he also had the parts I needed to get the straight leg treadle finished.  We compliment each other pretty well.  He likes to find machines he can clean up and get ready to sell.  I like machines that need a lot of help.  So when he finds a basket case he offered to let me know before he sends it to the curb.  Not that I'll be in a position to do anything about it any time soon.  I'm thinking this batch has me book solid until the summer.  My wife is really hoping that's true.

Rather than making one gigantic post with 25 photos I decided to break it up and give each machine it's own post.

2 comments:

  1. What a great haul! Enough to keep you busy for the rest of the month, at least. Personally, I prefer the 66/99's, since they are much easier to thread (top and bottom). What great luck that most of the decals and paint is still on those machines. My first couple of machines are missing most of the decals AND paint. I love them anyways. Have fun working on these.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Cheryl. It will probably be much longer for me. One reason because I'm just pokey. Another is I just started with a sewing tutor and she gives me a lot of home work.

    I'm aleady planning on who they will be Birthday/Christmas presents for. Once I get them shiney and running smooth I'll need to move them on for the next wave. I'm not sure why I haven't picked up a real 99 yet. It's like every time I see one that is what I'm looking for I have just started a something else. Next time I start looking around for a fixer upper it will be a 40s 99.

    ReplyDelete