Saturday, January 7, 2017

My Wife is so Awesome! Singer-Kilbowie Shipping Crate!

Wow.  This is a truly 'back of the rack' find. I had seen it on Craigslist and kinda mentioned it in passing to the wife.  I mean it's just an old box right?  But people growing up in the 70s and 80s might remember Peaches Record Stores and those Peaches shipping crates to put albums in?  I mean it kind of reminded me of those.  While probably not something that younger folks could relate to, I thought it was interesting in a nostalgic way, but not something I would buy for myself.

The wife snuck out one day with other plans.  On Christmas morning (January 2nd actually, we were on the road during the actual holidays) our son disappeared  towards the end of gift unwrapping and showed back up with this huge package.  They were both surprised when I couldn't guess what it was.  I really had no clue that she would get it.


The crate has the serial numbers for the machines that were shipped in it.  Two Model 99s from 1953.  Sent to the Singer warehouse in Bridgeport Connecticut, then shipped to Singer in Albany NY.  No dates on the Albany shipment, but I guess it was probably in 1954 sometime from the late 1953 dates of the serial numbers.  Cool, huh?

3 comments:

  1. hi, i also have a singer sewing machine crate. if i could email you some pics do you think you would be able to tell roughly what year? it has writing on the side that says "packed by 21".
    darrendavidhill@gmail.com
    thanks

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Darren, sure. See if you can find any nomenclature on the machines listed on the sides. It should have the model and serial numbers somewhere.

      Delete