Sunday, January 8, 2017

Working on the IF

Spent the day cleaning on the IF.  That and putting away Christmas decorations.  The original pitman was busted up pretty good so I checked with a friend to see if he might have one.  He did and excitedly I went to retrieve it.  Neither of us thought to check the length.  D'oh.  His was a 14" pitman, not the 15 3/4" I need.  I figured that out once I got it on and saw the pedal at the top of its stroke while the crank was at the bottom of its.  $#!+.  So I'm going to work on the TreadleOn hybrid now.  I also broke down and bought a 15 3/4" off Ebay.




Another issue that popped up while cleaning the needle bar area was that the presser bar was pretty much fused to the adjustment thumb screw, to the point that I had to detach everything from the presser bar and pull it out with the screw.  Luckily they didn't change anything across the centuries with the IF/Model 15 so a newer one off the donor machine mentioned in the last post works fine.  I'll keep working on the original one though.  Have lots of good tips from TreadleOn folks.


While cruising through Ebay for the pitman I also stumbled across a very special pair of objects.  I'm keeping them a secret for now, but exciting news should be posted when they arrive in a week or two.

No comments:

Post a Comment